2 c. peanut or vegetable oil
1 1/2 tbsp. dry sherry
2 whole chicken breasts, skinned, boned and thinly sliced
1/4 c. cornstarch
2 egg whites
1 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. finely chopped cashew nuts
1. In small bowl, combine cornstarch, salt, sugar and sherry.
2. In separate bowl, beat egg white lightly until just frothy.
3. Gradually add cornstarch mixture. Stir gently until blended.
4. Place chopped cashews on plate.
5. Dip chicken slices into egg mixture, then coat with cashews.
6. Place on waxed paper.
7. Pour oil into wok, place tempura rack onto wok, making sure rack is level and hooks rest securely on edge of wok.
8. Heat oil over medium to medium-high heat until it reaches 375 degrees.
9. Drop 5 or 6 slices of chicken carefully into hot oil, using a slotted spoon.
10. Fry until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.
11. Remove from oil and place on tempura rack to drain and keep warm. Continue frying remaining chicken pieces.